- I Resolve to: stop making resolutions. I mean, jeez, I already work pretty hard at being the best human being I can be. What else is there to add?
- I Resolve to: give myself some credit already. OK, so I am not Martha Stewart. My curtains don’t match my socks, my hair color isn’t coordinated with my napkins. But I’m not a convicted felon either. I guess I’m ok the way I am!
- I Resolve to: laugh more often. The hell with it. I will watch stupid TV when I want to, and I will laugh out loud at Gunsmoke if I want to.
- I Resolve to: stop telling myself that this is the year when I’ll suddenly become hip/svelte/athletic/spontaneous. I will NOT run a marathon this year. Nope. Nuh, uh. Ain’t gonna happen. I will NOT suddenly decide to fly to Paris to pursue a singing career. Seriously, dude? Nope. I will not decide to sell my house and finally buy that bungalow by the beach.
- I Resolve to:greet January 1st as that annoying day when I have to find the new calendar that I bought in October and transfer all of the family birthdays to it.
- I Resolve to:look at January 1st as the first day that I have to try to remember what the hell the new year actually is. AND I resolve to forgive myself if at any time between January 1st and August 31st I sign a check and date it as 1991.
- I Resolve to:to be mostly happy with the me that has evolved over the past 60 years. I resolve to smile at her, to pat her on the back for her herculean efforts at keeping her old dogs alive and happy. I resolve to remind her that she will never be this young again. I resolve to put an arm around the 60 year old me and whisper in her ear, “You did a pretty damn good job with those kids, honey.”
- I resolve, in this new year, to be happy with myself while still trying to learn more, grow more, evolve more and accept more.
- Finally, I resolve, in this year of our Lord 2016, to cast my Presidential vote for someone who will not disgust or dishonor us, for someone who shares my views, for someone I’d be proud to call my President.